International adoptions can be frightening at best and a disaster at worst. One way to protect yourself as you begin the process is to only choose to adopt a child that is from a licensed Hague Accredited Adoption agency who only works with convention countries. Convention countries agree to specific adoption procedures, disclosure policies and fee restrictions. Here are five reasons why you should choose a convention country adoption agency for your international adoption.
- Not only is the agency licensed in the state you reside, it is accredited and approved by the US State Department. These accrediting entities of the State Department regulate policies, fees, and have strict requirements for adoption agencies and adopting parents.
- You will have a specific service contract that gives you all the information about policies, fees, history, relationships your adoption agency has, what they will and won’t do, how they can help and many other positive information disclosures non accredited agencies don’t have to provide.
- The Home Study for your adoption will be licensed by both the state and federal government and will be required to meet strict standards. You will be getting the best of the best in Home Study personnel.
- Convention Countries require 10 hours of parent education. This is vital in understanding the country, what the process will be and will help you to understand many international adoption concerns.
- Paperwork. All international adoptions require extensive paperwork for the adoption completion. Convention countries are sticklers for this information, and by having an agency that lives by the convention rules, you know you won’t be stymied along the way.